Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Summer Players, Summer Not

It always fascinates me to watch a good piano player. They have this gift of being able to use their hands to express their emotions. To some it comes naturally. To others not so much. I am in the latter category. More than that, I'm more of an autumn player and maybe even a winter player. Still, I'm grateful for what I can do at a piano.
When you watch someone play, it looks really easy. So people say to themselves “I’d like to do that. Maybe I should take a couple of lessons.” Then they take a few lessons and discover that it takes more than just attending a class. They discover that they have to work at learning how to do it. Then they think they would rather do something else at that time. Then they forget about it. There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s just human nature. We try a thing to see if it's right for us and if it isn’t, we move on.
So here is what I think is the big secret about learning to play piano in the summer of our lives… 
You just have to love it!
If you love it, you’ll make time for it. The exercises won’t be boring and it won’t even be work. You’ll practice, and you’ll love the practice. You’ll keep practicing and you’ll keep getting better and you’ll love it even more. And the next thing you know you’ll be saying what you’ve always wanted to be able to say… “I can play!”
No matter what the season, just being able to say that, will make you feel pretty doggone good.

No comments: